18 Mar 10 Fun Facts About Swimming Pools
1. According to Statista 2018, ages 18-29 led the share of Americans who own a pool, hot tub, or spa at 17.2%
2. There are over 5 million in-ground pools across the U.S and approximately 40% are from California and Floridians with over 1.1 million owning pools (P.K Data).
3. The average person produces 25,000 quarts of saliva throughout their lifetime, which is enough to fill two swimming pools.
4. Everyday, 40,000 people miss school or work due to asthma 30,000 people have an asthma attack everyday AsthmaMD.
• Swimming increases your fitness, as well as helping expand the lung capacity due to breathing exercises/holding your breath. It helps you gain control over your breathing and with less anxiety of having an asthma attack, confidence level rises.
• According to Welsh et al, following a 5-month swimming program, asthmatic children showed significant improvement both physically and emotionally.
• It is recommended to keep up with your medications suggested by a doctor and to keep an inhaler nearby for safety precautions.
5. Swimming fins were invented by Benjamin Franklin
6. According to the Guinness World Records, the largest swimming pool in the world is San Alfonso del Mar Seawater pool in Algarrobo, Chile. It is 1,013 m (3,323 ft) long and takes up 20 acres.
7. Aquatic therapy is useful to patients with arthritis, healing fractured bones, or who are overweight. The buoyancy of the water assists in supporting the weight of an individual and reduces the force of stress placed on the joints (Inverarity, 2018). Making it easier and less painful to perform aquatic exercises due to its low impact.
8. President Gerald Ford,who was an avid swimmer, had a pool installed at the White House in 1975
9. Swimming works out all of the body’s major muscles
10. Parents can take their babies to swimming lessons as early as 6 months old